不被升职
No Promotion
A: I’m having a hard time at my job.
A:我现在工作很不顺。
B: What’s wrong, Jane?
B:怎么了,简?
A: My colleagues quickly get promotions while I always get sidelined. I don’t know what to do anymore.
A:我的同事都很快得到了升职,可总是没我的份儿。我不知道还能做什么。
B: Don’t give up so soon.
B:别轻易放弃。
A: But I don’t know what else I can do. I am willing to work hard. Sometimes I make mistakes and the boss is not happy. He thinks I’m not capable.
A:但我不知道还能做什么。我愿意努力工作。但有时会犯错,老板就不高兴了。他认为我能力不够。
B: Mistakes are just lessons to learn from.
B:可以从错误中吸取教训呀。
A: Tell that to my boss.
A:你最好对我老板这么讲。
B: Do you know Abraham Lincoln?
B:你知道亚伯拉罕·林肯吗?
A: Yes.
A:知道。
B: He grew up poor in Kentucky and barely had a year of schooling, but he went on to become the President of the US.
B:他生长于肯塔基州的一个贫穷之家,都没上够一年学,但他最后成为了美国总统。
A: He was also assassinated because of his views.
A:他也因为自己的观点而遇刺身亡。
B: He is known as America’s greatest President. Do you know why? Because he fought against slavery and secession at a time in history when others were too afraid to do anything. He succeeded because of his ambition and generous spirit.
B:他以美国最伟大的总统而闻名。你知道为什么吗?因为他反对奴隶制和南北分离,而那个时代的其他人都太胆小怕事,什么都不敢做。他成功了,因为他有雄心壮志,还有宽广的胸襟。
A: Well, if he can become President, then I can at least get a promotion.
A:那,如果他能成为总统,我至少也能获得一次升职。
B: That’s the spirit. Never give up on your dream.
B:这就对了。永远也别放弃你的梦想。