有个学生问我：“‘It rained for three solid hours last night.’这句话是什么意思？”原来，他不知道 solid 还有continuous（连续的）和without a pause（不间断）的意思。这句话也可以写成：“It rained for three hours solid last night.”译为：“昨夜下了连续三个小时的雨。”英语中有一些像 solid这样的修饰词，有些放在数词前面，有些放在数词后面，或者放在数词前面和后面都可以。
英语第一类修饰数词的词表示“正好”，包括 exactly, sharp, flat, just 等。例如：
1. The sea journey took us exactly twenty days.
2. I have an appointment with the dentist at three o’clock sharp this afternoon.
3. They changed the wheel of the car in three minutes flat.
4. He will have worked at the university for just thirty years by next month.
英语第二类修饰数词的词表示“大约”，包括 about, some, around, roughly, approximately 等。例如：
5. About five days ago, an earthquake happened in this small village. Luckily for the villagers, nothing was destroyed and nobody was hurt.
6. Last year, some 21 million people worldwide were affected by river flooding.
7. The much-anticipated area, which can hold 100,000 people, has now become a ghost town with only around 2,000 residents.
8. Spending roughly ten minutes per day in the sun should be enough to supply us with all the Vitamin D we need.
9. The snack industry in China has been growing at a steady clip of approximately 15% annual growth.
英语第三类修饰数词的词表示“将近”，包括 nearly，almost 等。例如：
10. The organizer of the conference said that nearly five hundred people from various countries attended the meeting.
11. In India alone, almost five million people were affected by floods in an average year.
英语第四类修饰数词的词表示“多于”，包括 more than, over, odd （a little more than）等。例如：
12. Beijing, the capital of China, is home to more than 20 million people.
13. The yet-to-be-named city will spread out over 150 square kilometers.
14. The old man told me that he was seventy-odd years old.
英语第五类修饰数词的词表示“不多于”“最多”，包括 not more than, at most, bare, barely, scant 等。例如：
15. I’d taken not more than five steps when my father started coughing.
16. He has got at most five yuan in his pocket.
17. When the boy was a bare five years old, he could speak a little English.
18. The young man was barely twenty years old and already running his own computer company.
19. The world hardly knew his name a scant three months ago.
英语第六类修饰数词的词表示“少于”，包括 fewer than, less than等。例如：
20. The zoologist said,“Fewer than 50 wild tigers remain in China.”
21. Most of the babies in Brazil, irrespective of social class, were breastfed—some for less than a month and others for more than a year.
英语第七类修饰数词的词表示“不少于”“至少”，包括 not fewer than, at least, good 等。例如：
22. On Sundays, there are not fewer than two thousand visitors in the park.
23. Seventy-five percent of America’s National Park Service employees are at least 40 years old and only 7% are 29 or younger.
24. My home is a good three kilometers to the airport.
英语第八类修饰数词的词表示“多余”或“另外”，包括 too many, more, other, another, extra, additional 等。例如：
25. I want to buy two more picture-books/ two other picture-books/ another two picture-books/ two extra picture-books/ two additional picture-books.
英语第九类修饰数词的词表示“缺”，包括 short, short of, shy, shy of 等。例如：
26. Our football team is still two players short.
27. We are still two players shy (of a full football team).
28. Mother told her young daughter that eleven was one short of a dozen.
英语第十类修饰数词的词表示“整整”，包括 clear （complete, without deduction）, full, fully 等。例如：
29. Her son has been seriously ill and laid in bed for three clear days.
30. During Spring Festival, we have three full days off.
31. Fully 100 policemen cordoned off the building on the street.
英语第十一类修饰数词的词表示“多达”，包括 as many as, up to, strong 等。例如：
32. The scientist points out that as many as 10 out of 17 kinds of penguins may be in danger of extinction.
33. This residential project was designed to house up to one hundred thousand people.
英语第十二类修饰数词的词表示“仅仅”，包括 only, mere, merely 等。例如：
34. They had all promised to attend the meeting, but only five people turned up.
35. It took the badminton player a mere 40 minutes to win the game.
36. The old man said he saw a car pass when he was merely five years old.
英语第十三类修饰数词的词表示“连续”，包括 solid, continuous, consecutive 等。例如：
37. We have worked together for two solid years.
38. The man lived in this city for five continuous years starting from 2009.
39. The insurance company has carried vehicle insurance with us for ten consecutive years.
英语第十四类修饰数词的词表示“说话人的情感”，包括 long, short, cool (emphasizing how large a sum of money is), anxious 等。例如：
40. The man said to his wife,“We have been married for ten long years.”
41. Just two short years ago, he was the CEO of a famous transnational corporation.
42. The young man earned a cool hundred thousand dollars in five months on the Internet.
43. His mother has spent an anxious 24 hours at his bedside since he was ill.