1. The lotus grows in ponds and lakes.
2. The lotus in the pond is now in full bloom.
3. In China, numerous poets have written poems in praise of the lotus since ancient times.
4. Although lotuses grow in muddy rivers and lakes, their leaves and flowers remain clean.
5. Lotus plants thrive in muck and mud, yet they produce some of nature’s most glorious flowers.
6. The lotus rises up from the mud of the pond and blossoms into a pure white flower.
7. The Chinese people regard the lotus as a symbol of purity, because it rises from unclean water but to blossom as a pure, uncontaminated flower.
8. In many cultures, the lotus has been a powerful image and a spiritual symbol. In Hindu, Buddhist and Egyptian religions, the lotus is considered a sacred flower.
9. The Mahayana sect of Buddhism maintains that all souls emerge from a lotus.
现在lotus position, lotus posture 或 lotus pose 成为做瑜伽功的专门术语，即“莲花坐”，例如：
10. Lotus position is a way of sitting with the legs crossed, used especially when people do yoga.
并蒂莲有“花中君子”之称，是荷花中的极品，英语可以译为double lotus或twin lotus flowers on one stalk，例如：
11. Twin lotus flowers on one stalk are considered as a symbol of love, representing the conjugal love of a married couple, their felicitous and happy marriage, their everlasting harmony, and their heart-and-soul dedication.
“藕”，又称“莲藕”，莲的根茎，人们喜爱的美食，英语可以译为lotus root或lotus rhizome，例如：
12. Lotus root is one of the most popular ingredients in Chinese cuisine.
13. Lotus rhizome is a very good source of dietary fibers.
荷全身都是宝。除了花可以观赏，藕可以食用之外，其他部分也都有自己的用途。“荷叶”是 lotus leaf，“荷梗”是 lotus stalk / stem，“莲蓬”是lotus seedpod，“莲子”是lotus seed，例如：
14. Almost all parts of the lotus are beneficial to our health. Its roots, young flowers, stalks and seeds are all edible.
15. The cook had the roast chicken wrapped in a lotus leaf.
16. The lotus rises on its stalk unsoiled by mud in the water.
17. The lotus seeds are wrapped in the lotus seedpod.
18. The lotus root snaps, but its fibers stay joined.
19. Even when the lotus root breaks, its fibers still hold together.
20. The lotus root is severed, but its fibers are still connected.
21. A section of the lotus root is separated, but its clinging fibers remain.
The two lovers were forced to part, but their love still remained.
Her boyfriend is still emotionally attached to his ex-girlfriend.
注意lotus在希腊神话中不是“荷花”，而是“忘忧果”的意思。Lotus eaters 是“食忘忧果者”，例如：
24. In ancient Greek myths, lotus was a fruit that is supposed to make you feel happy and relaxed. Once you have eaten it, you would feel like being in a dream.
Lotus is one of the most delicate and beautiful flowers on earth. It is regarded as a symbol of beauty throughout the world. This is not just because of its vibrant colours, but also because of its quality to bloom beautifully in muddy water. Due to its quality to bloom in spite of unfavorable conditions, lotus is regarded as a source of motivation. The lotus plant originated in parts of Middle East and Asia. The symbolization of a lotus flower varies from culture to culture. However, all of them are closely associated with the life cycle of the lotus flower. Lotus flower has been a source of inspiration to poets. There are large numbers of poems which use lotus for motivation, mostly presented in the form of a metaphor.