1. Be prepared.
2. Diagnose the fundamental structure of the negotiation.
3. Identify and work the BATNA.
4. Be willing to walk away.
5. Master the key paradoxes of negotiation:
Claiming value vs. creating value
Sticking by your principles vs. being resilient enough to go with the flow
Sticking with your strategy vs. opportunistically pursuing new options
Being too honest and open vs. being too closed and opaque
Being too trusting vs. being too distrusting
6. Remember the intangibles.
7. Actively manage coalitions – those against you, for you, and unknown.
8. Savor and protect your reputation.
9. Remember that rationality and fairness are relative.
10. Continue to learn from your experience.